With the decrease in the role of a person in the purchase of advertising, the importance of Brand Safety increases. How can we provide it? What should we take into account? And why is it necessary at all?
The Concept of Brand Safety
Brand Safety covers the tools and techniques that advertisers use to protect brand reputation when placing and displaying advertisements in the advertising ecosystem. The greatest threat to reputation is placed next to unethical, scandalous, illegal, or inappropriate content from a brand ethical perspective.
The most famous examples (according to AppLift) include:
- Placement of advertisements next to extremist content.
- Placement of ads to inappropriate audiences (61% of parents whose children watch YouTube say they see content advertised to them intended for an older age).
- Placement next to content contrary to brand values (for example, leading American companies refused an advertisement on the Tucker Carlson Tonight program on Fox News in the summer of 2020 due to the announcer’s comments about the Black Lives Matter movement).
- Ads placed (even if unintentionally) next to competitors’ ads or in competitors’ apps.
- Any undesirable context with which the brand does not want to associate itself.
Five facts that prove the importance of taking care of Brand Safety, according to AppLift
Brand Safety is still up to date now, during the COVID-19 pandemic, which has generated thousands of fake news on the Web. And here are some more facts.
1. Users rate negatively placing brand ads next to inappropriate content.
2. Nearly 90% of consumers believe that a brand has a responsibility to ensure that its ads appear in the proper context.
3. 82% of marketers believe that appearing next to inappropriate content affects brand reputation.
4. 1 in 4 brands and agencies experienced negativity following incidents of ad placement in an inappropriate context.
5. 80% of people in the US would stop or reduce engagement with a brand after seeing an ad next to inappropriate content.
Brand Safety and in-app programmatic advertising
And while mobile apps tend to be a safer environment for advertising, nothing can guarantee 100% Brand Safety if the brand itself is not concerned with this issue. How to ensure Brand Safety while placing advertisements using programmatic technologies?
Avoid posting in the context of 11 controversial topics, according to the IAB. Here’s what’s on this list: adult (sexual) context, weapons, crime, and human rights violations, military conflicts, online piracy, hate speech, obscene language, alcohol and drugs, spam, terrorism, and critical social issues.
Precise targeting. Programmatic advertising allows you to target your target audience. In the long run, this can help avoid placing ads next to unwanted context. For example, you can target specific categories of apps.
Investments in the quality of advertising and cooperation with reliable partners. White-lists of the application and cooperation with proven programmatic platforms will avoid placing ads in an unwanted context.
Why is the BYYD platform a reliable partner?
We do not work with SSPs hosting adult content, alcohol, prescription drugs, guns, and gambling. We strictly moderate the placement. SSPs of our list and our platform will not allow posting in the context of any controversial topics, even advertising for non-alcoholic beer. All advertising campaigns and creatives are placed by a mobile manager, which will enable you to control the appearance of advertising on sites.